VACANCY POSITION: FINANCIAL DIRECTOR – WATRA
Click to see pictures.
The Assembly of West African Telecommunications Regulators (WATRA) founded in 2002 is an advisory and collaborative body of telecommunications regulators in the West African sub-region to assist and advance the development of telecommunications in the sub-region and ultimately in Africa. WATRA will collaborate and cooperate with other regional and international organizations in order to achieve its mission of ensuring the rapid development of telecommunications in the sub-region.
WATRA is looking for a Financial Manager seconded to their country’s regulators/agencies who will be based in Abuja, Nigeria for the day-to-day operations within the WATRA Secretariat, responsible for all long-term financial matters and setting goals company-wide financial structure, policies, programs and practices that will ensure the Assembly has a consistently strong financial structure.
West African Telecommunications Regulators Assembly (WATRA)
founded in 2002 is an advisory and collaborative body of telecommunications regulators in the West African sub-region to assist and advance the development of telecommunications in the sub-region and ultimately in Africa. WATRA will collaborate and cooperate with other regional and international organizations for the realization of its mission to ensure the rapid development of telecommunications in the sub-region.
WATRA promotes the establishment of modern legal and regulatory structures for telecommunications and aims to develop the harmonization of regulations for the supply and pricing of telecommunications services in all countries of the sub-region. WATRA is set to work towards the realization of a uniform telecommunications service standard in the sub-region and the adoption of a uniform technical quality standard for telecommunications applications and equipment used in the sub-region. -region.
WATRA initiates, encourages and supports human resource and capacity building efforts aimed at addressing the shortage of indigenous skills, competencies and capacities in new information and communication technologies in the sub-region . The members of WATRA are:
ARCEP-Benin, ARCEP-Burkina Faso, ARME-Cape Verde, ARTCI-Côte d’Ivoire, PURA-Gambia, NCA-Ghana, ARN-Guinea Bissau, ARPT-Guinea, LTALiberia, AMRTP-Mali, AR-Mauritania, ARCEP -Niger, NCC-Nigeria, ARTPSenegal, NATCOM-Sierra Leone and ARCEP-Togo.
WATRA’s partners are: International development organizations,
telecom operators, governments, ICT equipment manufacturers, ICT equipment suppliers and industry stakeholders.
WATRA is looking for a Finance Officer seconded to their country’s regulators/agencies who will be based in Abuja, Nigeria for the daily
operation within the WATRA secretariat responsible for all long-term financial operations Page | 3
and to establish financial objectives, policies,
programs, and practices, which will assure the Assembly of a
healthy financial structure.
2. Tasks and responsibilities
Oversees the management of financial investments, WATRA assets and response to external auditors on financial policies, procedures and internal procedures
control. Ensure the implementation of the recommendations of the external auditors.
Oversees the planning, organization and management of all procurement activities and provides advice to management on auditor performance reporting.
Oversee all operational accounting aspects including accounts payable, general ledger, and financial reporting of management accounts and budget
Manage salary scale and benefits to be discussed with administrative department based on experience.
Directly responsible to the Executive Secretary for the execution of all financial management related responsibilities and Provide reports on
company finances as requested by the executive secretary.
More specifically, the CFO’s duties will include:
• Advise the Executive Secretary on financial matters and related statutory and regulatory framework
• Create and strengthen the Assembly’s risk management policy to protect investments and support spending decisions
• Improve and strengthen existing internal controls
• Supervise external auditors and assist with financial audit
• Analyze complex financial data
• Lead the long-term financial strategy and planning of the Assembly
• Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures to effectively prepare the financial records of the Assembly in accordance with applicable regulatory and statutory laws.
• Establishes and administers tax policies and procedures.
• Manages the application and maintenance of accounting software systems.
• Ensures the protection of company assets through internal control, internal audit and the guarantee of adequate insurance coverage.
• Develop and monitor budgets and strategic financial plans, with a focus on quarterly reviews of WATRA’s profitability and cash flow position
• Manage WATRA’s cash position.
• Build a team of focused professionals to continuously deliver timely financial reports to achieve better results.
• Approve all agreements regarding financial obligations, such as supplier contracts and related actions requiring commitment of financial resources.
• Maintain and update the employee handbook with respect to staff welfare and Executive Secretary benefits.
• Manage the employee compensation plan by conducting periodic compensation surveys and salary reviews.
• Assist the Executive Secretary in formulating the company’s general objectives.
3. Selection criteria:
a) Must be a citizen of a member state and a WATRA institution
b) Must have a B.Sc. degree in accounting or equivalent finance with relevant work experience in the telecommunications/ICT sector and a Masters degree will be an advantage.
c) At least five (5) years of experience in financial management and accounting.
d) Have strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication skills
e) Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the region. Knowledge of other official languages will be an added advantage. WATRA’s working languages are English and French
f) Must demonstrate ability to advise senior management on financial policies, strategies and priorities and to formulate procedures and plans.
g) Experience in preparing budgets and projections
h) Excellent conceptual and analytical skills
i) Strong computer skills including Excel, Word and financial accounting software.
j) Must be between 30 and 40 years old when applying
k) Submit a complete application package on time and in accordance with the requirements.
3.1. Required documents:
a) A letter of submission addressed to the Executive Secretary of the WATRA Secretariat. This letter of submission must be signed by the person authorized to commit the Agency or the regulatory authority of the candidate’s member country.
b) Letter of application signed by the candidate.
c) A certified copy of the applicant’s degree and other relevant certificates
d) The legalized certificate(s) justifying the candidate’s experience.
e) Detailed, dated and signed curriculum vitae of the candidate.
f) A legalized copy of the national identity document or passport.
4. Conditions for submitting the application
a) Applications must bear the reference number of the recruitment notice
b) The candidate must submit a recent curriculum vitae indicating his qualifications, experience and professional skills, together with a cover letter.
c) Only one application file is authorized per Member State. All candidates must have passed through the Regulatory Authorities / Agencies of their country of origin who select a candidate that he will endorse and submit his application file
d) The members of the Regulatory Agencies/Authorities are responsible for sending the application files to the WATRA Secretariat in a closed envelope marked WATRA/RFM/EC/2022/05/01 DO NOT OPEN by courier service.
e) All inquiries from the Regulatory Authority/Agency should be addressed to:
The Executive Secretary
WATRA Executive Secretariat.
19B, rue Bobo
5. Deadline for submitting applications
All applications from National Regulatory Agencies must reach the WATRA Executive Secretariat no later than October 14, 2022.