Job: Country Finance Manager at Plan International
Objective of the role
The purpose of this position is:
- Provide overall direction and management of the finance function, promote financial stewardship, accountability, reliability and accuracy of financial reporting, ensure effective management of resources, accounting and reporting, and the use and protection actives.
- Implement financial policies for budget, cash management, grant and other donor accounting, project financial review, accounting and reporting in accordance with Plan International Inc. processes and policies.
- The position directly manages 5 people within the Country Finance Department.
- The Country Finance team is made up of approximately 29 people, including field and project accountants
- The Country Finance Manager leads the financial services provided within Plan International Nigeria, which has an annual budget of approximately €30 million.
- Member of the Country Leadership Team.
Supervision and development of an excellent and successful finance team in the country:
- Develop, motivate and retain current finance staff and recruit new staff as needed,
- Establish and implement development and training plans for all finance staff,
- Lead regular meetings of finance team members, including those in the Program Implementation and Impact Areas (PIIAs),
- Ensure performance management of all finance staff is to global standard.
Financial reporting and maintenance of grant records is complete, well maintained and accurate:
- Ensure that all grant budgets are fully costed; include the recovery of personnel costs and support services,
- Maintain records of grant expenditures, including supporting documents approved by the competent authority,
- Ensure timely submission of accurate financial reports to donors,
- Maintain close monitoring of partner advances, partner expense reports and complete supporting documentation and ensure that at least 20% of all partner liquidations are verified by you,
- Ensure partners adhere strictly to Plan International Nigeria’s new local partnership guidelines.
Plan Nigeria management and teams are supported by effective financial services, financial information and advice:
- Support the Country Director in preparing funding requests and communicating other business plans to the regional office,
- Report Country Office PIIAs and results against budget, and other key financial metrics to the country leadership team, including advice on finance-highlighted issues and recommendations to address them ,
- Support payroll, regulatory filings and tax compliance as needed,
- Provide efficient payment services to Plan International Nigeria staff,
- Ensure partner financial due diligence is performed as part of partner assessment processes.
Budgeting and planning are based on excellent up-to-date financial data:
- Organize and control the annual budget and quarterly forecasting processes, including communication of instructions, adherence to deadlines,
- Ensure quarterly review and update of country operational budgets.
Financial reporting and cash management are accurate and in accordance with established policies and procedures:
- Manage general ledger and cash management processes including cash forecasting, balance sheet accounts,
- Ensure best financial processes and practices are maintained and introduce new ones as appropriate
- Update the financial authorization matrix and obtain Country Director approval as often as required,
- Support project audits and audit managers of Plan International Nigeria. Also ensure that audit actions are implemented and alternative actions are taken as needed to address weaknesses in financial controls and procedures identified in financial reports and other forms of audit reports,
- Support the Country Director’s submission of timely and reliable financial information.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- BSc. In accounting, finance or any other related field. A master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Professional financial/accounting qualification (ICAN, CPA or equivalent)
- 5 to 7 years of experience including at least 3 years in a management position
- Knowledge of the sector and its specific financial management issues is an asset
- Knowledge of international financial reporting standards, control standards and reporting requirements of major international donors.
- Proven effective management skills to lead teams across multiple sites and operate within a multicultural, matrix management structure
- Excellent proven skills in financial analysis
- Ability to demonstrate and foster in team members a strong commitment to meeting the financial services needs of other employees and managers
- Good written and spoken English is also an advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages and Plan’s general ledger, grant tracking and SAP system
- Strive for high performance within the team and for Plan activities
- Strategic thinking and innovation – improving efficiency in the use of resources
- Decision making and risk management – identification and action on financial risk management in accordance with compliance requirements
- Influence and communication – able to communicate concerns to managers and teams
- Building effective teams and partnerships – with teams and stakeholders
- Developing people – leaving a legacy of a locally competent team
- Self-awareness and resilience – operating in a very unstable and developing environment
- SAP knowledge will be highly appreciated.
Click here to apply