INQUIRY – North County Recreation District Financial Director (NCRD) Payment to previous contractor / employee ??
Community, Board of Directors and NCRD,
A longtime board member told me ‘you don’t want to put yourself on the wrong side of the board, we have our own way of doing things’. This statement led me to take a closer look at the operations and relationship between the council and the NCRD. I found the following regarding and posed my questions to Bill, the NCRD and the Board of Directors. I am told that my questions are inappropriate, that my numbers are not correct and that my questions / requests must be in writing, then I will be told how much it will cost me to receive the answers.
The Mgr of Finances. The position is posted on the NCRD website and lists the position as 30 hours / week, hourly wages up to $ 25.50 / hour. Doing the math, that comes down to $ 765 / week, $ 39,780.00 / year. The last two budgets provided for a salary of $ 52,500.00. The former GM hired his friend Bill D, not as a finance director, but did he hire him as a finance consultant? According to expense reports, NCRD paid B. Devlin consulting $ 81,664.00 in fiscal year 2020/21, ending June 30, 2021. If you look at the June 2021 statement, Bill Devlin Consulting has been paid $ 8,887, 2 ½ times what would be the monthly salary of a new CFO today? I asked and was not told if Bill also received the budgeted salary of $ 52,500 for the CFO? And, if you look in the documents from the July board meeting, you’ll see that the CFO position was paid for at 104% of the budget for the year. This money went somewhere, to someone… who? AND, if it went for Bill D services, where is that reflected? I couldn’t find anything in the 11/2019 board minutes that referred to any of this.
So here we go, NCRD sends me an invoice:
1. Based on the currently posted job description, it seems to describe what Bill D. has been doing for NCRD since 10/2019. What is the source of the $ 30,000 overrun of a CFO’s budgeted amount for (2020/21) and more than double the salary the next responsible person will receive? Where did this extra-budget money come from?
2. The NCRD categorically states that Bill is not an “employee”, if so why is he listed as “staff present” at every board meeting since 12/2019? If not an employee, does Bill rent office space from NCRD as a contractor? If it’s not an employee, why the email from Bill? [email protected]?
3. When was this “contract” offered to our community over the past 2 years, as required by a public entity.
4. Please provide a signed / dated copy of the original contract and the renewed contract for 2020/21.
5. Who inspected, approved and signed the checks for the invoices of $ 5,000 to $ 8,000 / month submitted by Bill Devlin Consulting, since this has gone from a salaried position to a contract position? Please provide copies of detailed invoices from 10/01/2019 to 08/01/2021.
Last question, unrelated. $ 2 million has accumulated over the past 20 years and is not included in the new designated pool account. This new pool account includes the proceeds from the sale of bonds (4 + m) and the proceeds from the loan (3m) with the additional $ 2 million included, there would be over $ 9 million in one account, 100 % committed to the new pool and nothing else. Doesn’t it make sense to have all the funds in the same account? Why is it not?
As a concerned patron who requests reasonable public information that we deserve as a community, I hope we will know if any of these issues are addressed, discussed or answered at the NCRD Board meeting on Thursday August 12 at 6 p.m. We will also have the opportunity to meet and welcome the new Managing Director, Dominic Cortinas. I hope you will join me.
Thank you / Constance Shimek ([email protected])